Monday, May 2, 2011

So Far As It Depends on Me

It is only human nature to celebrate the death of an enemy, especially one who took so many innocent lives. One so covered in guilt got his just ending. Yes, justice was served. I will not argue whether this was right or wrong. I believe we have the right to defend ourselves. I support our service men and women. I do see a need for police and military. I do honor those who serve. I am thankful for the selfless service of those who keep us safe in our borders. Osama Bin Laden got what was coming to him, no doubt. You reap what you sow.

However, as a Christ follower, I am not called to live as those who do not know Him do, I am called to emulate Christ.I strive to be a peacemaker; I wish to live a peaceful existence in this world. I am not always successful, but I keep trying. I believe that ever since Jesus rose from the grave, as His followers, we have been called to a higher level of conduct. God is a God of Justice, but He is also a God of Mercy. If we live by Justice alone, then by all rights, we are all guilty and we all should die. I have not taken a life, but I have spoken words that wound the soul, sometimes to those I love the most. I am weak. I have failed. I have offended God Almighty with my personal sin. I deserve to die. 

And Osama deserved to die. He did, I get that. I have no easy answers for this situation. I'm not even prepared to say what happened was wrong, but it is sad. It's sad that these things happen in our world. Osama was a product of thousands of years of history. The story is so much bigger than one man. The U.S. has a long history of animosity with the Middle East. The story really started with some poor choices on the parts of Abraham and Sarah. One couple lacked faith and tried to creatively solve a problem outside of God's plan. And the world is still at war because of it. I am really no different, no better. I shudder to think that some of my missteps could affect future history in such a devastating way. 

If we're going to talk about right versus wrong. What is the ruler by which we measure? I believe the only unchanging ruler that can truly measure right from wrong is God's, and by it we all fall short. Romans 3:23 tells us that ALL have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God. There but for the GRACE of God go I. 

So when I see the celebration in the streets in front of our capitol and hear people rejoicing, I can't help but feel sad. When I hear other believers celebrate the death of this man, my heart breaks. We are called to more. We are called to be Peace in the World. I cannot see the difference between Arab extremist dancing and chanting in the streets in celebration of American lives taken and Americans dancing and chanting in the streets of our nation's Capitol celebrating the death of an Arab extremist. When we engage in the same elation over death, we are then no different than they.

Peter tells us in 2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise [to return], as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Someone on Facebook shared the sentment, "An eye for an eye and the whole world ends up blind." You know what Jesus said will happen to the blind? They will lead each other off the cliff. (Matt 15:14)

I don't think it takes a theological degree to discern what God feels about such things. He is pretty clear. Here are some great verses shared by many of my friends, and some I know and love.

Leviticus 19:18
“‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."

That is speaking directly to the Hebrew people but Christ expanded this directive to reach beyond His chosen people and to include the world. 

Matthew 5:43-45
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

Proverbs 2:17 states
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; 
   when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice"

Our God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. We are only free from judgment because we are covered by Christ's sacrifice. 

I don't begrudge anyone the sense of added safety they feel today that this man who perpetratd so much evil in the world is dead, but I doubt this will bring about any real or lasting peace. Only the Prince of Peace can bring Peace that surpasses all understanding. His Peace never ends.

John 3:16-17
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

So ... there, but for the Grace of God, go I. And while earthly justice may have been served, an eternal soul lost is nothing to rejoice over.

I am so thankful that my God is a God of forgiveness, mercy, and grace. I am so thankful that through my faith in Christ's sacrifice, my offenses are not counted against me. Our choices have consequences. Abraham's fathering of Ishmael through Hagar has consequences, even today. But Abraham was saved on account of his faith. And God was with Ishmael as he grew into manhood. God desires for Ishmael to return to Him. 

Our calling is to go into ALL the world taking the message of Christ's love and sacrifice to ALL people. I don't read "except Arabs" anywhere in that. ALL are in need of God's Grace. 

" Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another.(...)
 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

   “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; 
   if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. 
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."
(Romans 12:17-21)

I realize it is not a perfect world, but so far as it depends on me, I will try to live at peace with everyone. And you know, as I recall, most of the New Testament was written during a time of great persecution to Christians....so that should count for something, shouldn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment